26 May 2009
From Denny: Here is a fun chocolate version of the trifle that is kid-fun and kid-friendly! Try this decadence on your family, friends and company who come to visit. They will be impressed at the presentation. Get the kids to help you decorate with the cookies. The recipe uses my favorite chocolate: Ghiradelli!
From: Southern Living Magazine, a fabulous recipe database.
Prep: 25 min., Cool: 20 min., Chill: 8 hr.
3 1/4 cups heavy cream, divided
1 1/2 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bars, chopped
1 (4-oz.) white chocolate baking bar, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12.5-oz.) package assorted cookies
2 tablespoons mocha liqueur (optional)
2 (6-oz.) containers fresh raspberries
1. Microwave 1/2 cup cream at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or until hot (do not boil). Place bittersweet chocolate in a large bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate, and stir until smooth. Repeat procedure with 1/4 cup cream and white chocolate. (If chocolate does not melt completely after stirring, microwave at HIGH for 10-second intervals just until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.) Stir 1/2 tsp. vanilla into each chocolate mixture until well blended. Cool 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, let 2 1/2 cups cream stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
3. Beat 1 1/2 cups cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until medium peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of whipped cream into cool bittersweet chocolate mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining whipped cream.
4. Beat remaining 1 cup cream at medium-high speed until medium peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of whipped cream into cool white chocolate mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining whipped cream.
5. Crush 6 to 7 cookies to equal 1/2 cup crumbs. Sprinkle on bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Spread half of bittersweet chocolate mixture over crushed cookies in pan. Arrange cookies around sides of pan (about 19 cookies). Spread white chocolate mixture over bittersweet chocolate mixture.
6. Crush remaining cookies, and sprinkle over white chocolate mixture in springform pan. Drizzle with liqueur, if desired. Spread remaining bittersweet chocolate mixture over crushed cookies. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
7. Remove sides from pan. Mound raspberries in center of trifle; brush with Raspberry Glaze. Serve immediately.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Bars, Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar, Pepperidge Farm Distinctive Entertaining Cookie Collection, and Godiva Mocha Liqueur.
Raspberry Glaze: Combine 3 Tbsp. seedless raspberry jam and 2 tsp. water in a small glass bowl. Microwave at HIGH 10 to 15 seconds or until smooth.
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
17 January 2009
Just how much do you really like chocolate? - As I write on HubPages, they have this area where you can make requests for other people to write about your question - or "hub" as they call it. This writer answered my request and her chocolate story of a friend was most unusual!
Photo by hfb @ flickr